Monday, December 18, 2023

Lt. Gov. Coleman has twin mastectomy, citing exam, family history; says early detection and prevention made the difference

Lt. Gov. Jacqueline Coleman (January 2022 photo)
Kentucky Health News

UPDATE, Dec. 26: Coleman issued a statement saying in part, “My post-surgery reports came back clean! While I am grateful for my amazing health-care heroes, and the relief I feel for having answers, please hear me when I say, if I had put this off, skipped appointments, or not taken it seriously, it is likely the news I’d be sharing eventually wouldn’t be great. Early detection and prevention were the difference makers for me. And they are for you, too. Go schedule that appointment that’s been in the back of your mind.”

Lt. Gov. Jacqueline Coleman underwent a double mastectomy Monday, then issued a statement saying the surgery was prompted by an examination and her family history.

“Concerns were raised to me during a recent routine physical exam,” she said. “With a significant family history of cancer, I made the decision to have a double mastectomy. I am happy to report that a successful surgery was performed today, and I expect to make a full recovery.”

Coleman, 41, was re-elected in November and is considered a likely Democratic candidate to succeed Gov. Andy Beshear in 2027, when he would not be eligible for a third term. He and Coleman said her case was a good example of the need for regular screening exams and other preventive measures.

"Coleman’s office did not immediately clarify if she’d received a cancer diagnosis" or if the surgery was preventive, reports Tessa Duvall of the Lexington Herald-Leader, noting that "Such surgeries can reduce the risk of breast cancer by 90% or more," according to the American Cancer Society. "Certain genetic mutations — such as the BRCA1 or BRCA2 — carry with them a “greatly increased risk of breast cancer,” according to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation."

Coleman said, “As Kentucky’s highest elected teacher, it is only fitting that I leave you with a little homework: Schedule those preventive exams you’ve put off, hug your people a little tighter and be kind, because everyone is fighting a battle you may know nothing about.”

She also said, “I want to thank the health-care heroes for the compassionate care I continue to receive. I am more appreciative than I can articulate for your expertise and your kindness through this process. . . . I am eternally grateful for my loving and supportive family who makes that possible, a compassionate friend in Gov. Beshear and a top-notch staff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment