To help journalists with this story, the Bluegrass Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists will hold an online panel discussion, “Covering the Pandemic,” at 7 p.m. ET Thursday, Oct. 22. The panelists will be:
• Alex Acquisto, health reporter, Lexington Herald-Leader
• Jennifer P. Brown of Hopkinsville, who recovered from Covid-19 and wrote about it in her online newspaper, Hoptown Chronicle
• Ben Sheroan, editor, The News-Enterprise of Elizabethtown, who can speak to the pushback newspapers receive from their coverage of the pandemic
• Brian Neal, news director at Lexington’s WLEX-TV, who will address the fatigue factor experienced by journalists
• Susan Dunlap, executive director of the Office of Public Affairs of the state Cabinet for Health and Family Services, who will speak to the communications challenges of government agencies
The discussion will be moderated by Melissa Patrick, reporter for Kentucky Health News.
There is no charge to attend the program, which will be held via Zoom, but registration to receive the Zoom link is required. To register, send an email to email@example.com.
The Society of Professional Journalists has stood for improving and protecting journalism since 1909. For more information, see www.spj.org or visit the Bluegrass SPJ Chapter’s page on Facebook.