Sunday, April 20, 2014

CEO of Somerset hospital, rated by Consumer Reports as clearly the least safe in Kentucky, is resigning

Mark Brenzel (Photo via Somerset Commonwealth Journal)
The CEO of the Kentucky hospital with by far the lowest safety rating from Consumer Reports magazine is resigning. Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital is one of 61 owned in 20 states by LifePoint Hospitals of Brentwood, Tenn.

In an April 14 message to the hospital staff, Mark Brenzel wrote, “A few weeks ago, I informed Scott Raplee, President of LifePoint’s Central Group, about my decision to step down  . . . I have struggled managing some health problems since last year that have required me to limit some activities including work hours. While these lifestyle changes have been helpful, they have made it difficult for me to keep up with the demands of this job.”

Brenzel concluded, “I have greatly enjoyed the last four years and am glad to be ending my hospital management career where it began in 1976 when I first visited LCRH [soon after it opened]. We have made great progress in improving patient care and implementing new strategies that will help LCRH be successful in the new healthcare reform environment. My wife and I are planning to stay in the community for the long term and look forward to supporting LCRH in any way that we can.”

Raplee told the Somerset Commonwealth Journal that LifePoint is doing national search to find a replacement for Brenzel, who will remain as CEO during the search. “We are discussing the possibility of Mark taking a new role with LCRH once the new CEO is hired,” Raplee said in a press release.

No comments:

Post a Comment